Tuesday 20 March 2012

Floppy Nipples

So..... I am finally in Bangkok.

After weeks and weeks of wondering what my new life and adventures would be like when I was in Thailand.  I guess today, is my first insight to that.  Obviously, Bangkok is just a stop gap until myself and Gaz reach 'The Islands', and my 'long term' future is going to be unlike what I am and will be experiencing in the next couple of days.

We arrived in Thailand today around 12.30pm, where we met a nice young girl ( a student from England somewhere - down south I think), who just so happened to be going to the same place we were going.  The infamous Koh San Road.  We talked and decided to join forces and split costs for a taxi, in the end it was around 3 pounds each for a 40 minute drive.  As soon as I landed in this country and saw life outside of the airport, I loved it.  everything you have seen on the TV about South East Asia is true, and it's amazing.. It really is.  I must warn you now before you start to suspect my writings are less descriptive and a little bit more wary, that's because right now, I am heavily influenced by alcohol -and only alcohol before my mother starts to panic.

It has been a crazy journey soar, after around 12 hours of travelling we found our haven, a nice little B and B on Koh San Road, in which Gaz had told me he had managed to sort out for around 350dhs per night person, BARGAIN, that's around 7 quid a night each.  After reaching the room, on the 4th floor without elevator may I add, I realized why it was the price it was.  Shithole would be a compliment.  My room literally consists of a bed, that's it, oh sorry there is a fan on the roof which does a great job of swishing the hot air around and giving you the microwave effect. I can deal with that, its not perfect but at the end of the day it is somewhere to lay your head at the end of the night, and in all honesty, we are only here for a couple of days then we are to head down to Phuket.

After completing of a couple of standard chores around the place; getting to know the area, sorting some money and bank things out we headed back to base where we were to meet a couple of Gaz's 'lady friends' who he had met from previous excursions in Thailand.  When I say they were 'ladies', I mean it, they are not the lady boys I have been hearing so much about.  We had a beer or two for Gaz and his friend to catch up in one of the local pool bars, it was cool, but by this time the two of us - or definately me - were starting to flake from the travelling and stupid sleeping hours.  We headed back to our new accommodation, where I presumed the girls were going back home... apparently not.  Anyways, without spreading the gory details of what I have seen tonight, lets just say, if the rest of my trip will be like the first 24 hours in Thailand.. God help me.

After trying to get some sleep - which is impossible when you might as well be on a bed in an oven turned to gas mark 10 - we decided to hit the town and get some more brewskies down us.  Which I guess leads us to where we are now.  It has been such a great experience so far, not only seeing a new way of life, new cultures and the rest of it, but meeting new people who seem to be so down to earth and here for the same reasons that we are, to have a good time.  It is evident that Thailand is the hub of all cultures and the only way I could describe what you see in the streets would be to call it a 'mashup'.  It is amazing, it really is and I cannot wait to see what tomorrow has to offer, and in the same breath, the rest of this evening.

JC


No comments:

Post a Comment