Thursday 26 July 2012

Things To Come

Today, I have decided to blog, despite not having a real subject of discussion.


I do however, enjoy writing these from time to time, more so when I have some inspiration or something on my mind in which I can just write and write and write and feel a little better at the end of it.  So apologies early doors if today's post isn't as gossipy as it would normally be.


This is more of an update of a couple topics.  First of all is my employment situation, as I am currently unemployed and looking for work.  Yesterday was the second time I had gone to a Job Centre regarding my own employment status and if I am being honest I was surprised on a couple of levels. First of all I was actually shocked by the number of people there, the room can't have been any bigger than that of a dental surgeries waiting room with a rough guesstimate of 20-30 people waiting around to be seen.  The second thing that surprised me was age range of people out of jobs and waiting around to be seen by a bunch of people who regulate who gets paid and who doesn't. Again, I am very honest and whilst I have been away I have obviously seen the news about the recession, and unemployment numbers being at their highest peak since the 80's downfall.  My honest opinion was that a percentage of the people were happier to claim the dole aka 'rock'n'roll', which follows the basic principle of a young rock'n'roller like Keith Richards, Ringo Starr etc., living a similar life in that money goes on nights out, alcohol, drugs along with spending little to no time actually looking for work.  I guess it is a similar lifestyle, just the 'amounts' of money spent will be a little less than that of Richards, Star etc.


As I say that was essentially in the back of my mind that the recession in England is not as bad as it seems, which was almost immediately confirmed when I had gotten and interview with the first call I made and given a job straight off the back of that, baring in mind it was a menial job to sell gas and electric to people whilst they are watching Corrie or having their dinner. I was hardly thrilled at the prospect, but it was a job.  The reason I'm talking past tense is because after taking 2 days sick leave, which was reported by the way, they pulled me into the office on the next Monday morning to tell me they have reported an unauthorised absence in the first week of training in which they are un-willing to resume.  As quick as it was to start the job, it was just as quick for them to release me of my duties.  Great.


Since the recent 'sacking', I have called/emailed/asked around regarding many job opportunities, or 'lack of' job opportunities I should rephrase, all of which have availed with no leads and definitely no offers.  After seeing and speaking with some of the people at the job centre, my pre-conceived views about what people were doing with themselves has definitely changed scope as there are people from all ages, you have all ages in there, school leavers right up to old age pensioners who are doing everything for A job, never mind a job of choice.  


As a bit of self-proclaimed hippy, I have a bit of beef with most of the governments in the world and don't believe a word of their election campaigns.  You see their slogans and campaigners walking around with posters of 'Hope' and 'Vote for us, change is coming'.  However, in reality, there are ALWAYS going to be fat cats in suits running countries, and stuffing percentages of tax payers money into back pockets, so they can have a second house, or that extra week off sipping the finest of champers in St. Tropez. I remember watching on the News a while back about just one person and his bonuses,  the reason I remember the episode is because just one big wig in a suit gained more bonuses in one year which could have effectively paid off every penny of student loans in the country.  Without beginning a huge debate about the UK government, tax money and where it really goes, I'll leave that subject with a short and simple message 'Don't believe everything you hear in the media' - in the end, they are controlled by the government itself.


So after my first trip to the old Job Centre, I was told I need to 'sign-on' the next day, which was today.  I am not quite a virgin when it comes to the Job Centre but I am definitely no professional and had to ask what I am supposed to do when I 'sign on'.  The woman laughed actually and said, 'ahhh I've not heard anyone ask that for a while', it confused me, if anything I thought it would be on their list of FAQ's, they must not get a lot of newbies like me coming in.  Anyways, after a 25 minute 'interview', where I sat down next to a guy called Paul who looked like a chubby Francis Rossi (if you don't know who he is, ask your parents or do a quick Google search), which made me laugh at first.  I don't remember the name of the interview, a Habitual Residency Test or something, it wasn't important, the Rossi look-a-like wanted to know where I have been, how long I have been away, if I was involved in a volcanic eruption in 1994 and a bunch of other questions which I would have thought my British passport alone would have answered questions to.  Apparently not, they just wanted to check if I am eligible for Job Seekers Allowance as only UK residents are eligible.  Last time I checked I was still English.


Turns out, Yes, I am still a UK resident and eligible to live and reside in England.  Which was always obvious, however, I do not take this for granted at all, as I now realise after travelling some of the world that other nationalities have it so much worse than the Great British folk.  So now I am cleared and officially allowed to reside in my home country, it just really re-iterated the fact that I do not want to be here long term by any means and need to get back on the wagon and see where I end up.  The desire of travelling, meeting new people, diving in new locations, learning new languages and cultures for me, is exactly what I am looking for at the moment, maybe my time to reside and relax in England are behind me, or who knows, maybe they are yet to come.


At the moment in a bleak, bleak time of British history during the recession, I am just hoping that the little adventurous bug that I've got right now will last long enough until I have enough money to relieve myself from this place to the next.


There's a saying people say to me 'Ahh its okay. We can always dream.', but I find that term so depressing and feel sad for people that say that to me.  My dream is achievable and I'm not a million miles away from getting there, living my dream.  I just have to go out there and  make it happen, one way or the other. I believe if something is possible and it is your dream, it always will be if you think of it as a dream.  Go out and make it happen, it won't just turn up at your door.


JC

No comments:

Post a Comment